Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Wahala: A Family Vacation - Day 1

What does Wahala mean?
 
Let me just start out by saying this trip was one of a kind. It was like nothing I've every experienced before and I'm glad I went. I've been to Ghana before (when I was 18), but I feel like that doesn't count. The place has changed so much. Some good, some bad.

Attendees:
  • Mama Tess
  • The Three Brothers
  • Lil Sis
  • BFF/Road Dawg/Wahoo
  • Wahoo
Day One
Upon arriving at the airport we discover that some of us are having issues getting our e-tickets through the automated machine. Minor setback, but we proceed. We get on the plane and fly to NYC. Our layover in NYC is over 7 hours. Here is where the fun begins.
 
We find out about these rooms that Delta offers in the airport called Sky Lounges. They provide snacks, open bar (YASS!), TVs, free Wi-Fi, and some of them even have showers. I'm sure all you expert jet-setters know what I'm talking about. This was my first experience with it. We paid $50 each and were able to stay for the duration of our layover.
 
Five cocktails later (Hey, what can I say? Some of us are Wahoos, others needed to take their mind off of our impending 10+ hours flight), and after befriending the bartender (two rules of socializing: Always make friends with the bartender and the DJ...I married a DJ...WINNING!) napping, flipping through magazines, and/or fiddling around on our laptops, we prepared to board.

The flight was smooth. No delays, a little turbulence, but not enough to send you in panic-mode. We had one or two meals and a snack, we each had our own monitor to watch movies or play games. Probably could have used more leg room (my ankles were swollen for the duration of the trip and not from pregnancy, smh...this most likely means that I need less salt in my diet, but I digress).

Lesson-learned for next overseas trip: Try to fly first-class or request more leg room.

The Ghanaian Airport (The first Wahala)
Wahala is definitely the best word for it. It was trouble, trouble (in my Bernie Mac voice). We left the plane to get onto a vehicle that took us about FIVE feet...no really...so we could get to the steps and enter the airport. Why couldn't we walk? Don't ask questions. They will likely not get answered.

We get to the baggage claim and it takes about half an hour to find all of our suitcases. Eight people with one to two suitcases a piece, more wahala.

From the airport to the parking lot, people literally were bum-rushing us to take our luggage to a taxi. Even if we said we didn't want help, they insisted...and then, of course expected a tip. Side-eye time. My dad had a driver with a mini van waiting for us and another cab that got all our stuff (barely) in it. We won't get into the gory details about how the other people that forced their way to help us were waiting for their tips as we drove off with the deuces. More side-eye time.


On the ride to my dad's house, there was no AC, and we are in Ghana, and there wasn't a breeze. However, I think we were all so excited to finally be there, that it hadn't become a problem (yet). The road to my dad's house wasn't paved. Imagine a minivan full of people and luggage trying to go down a steep road...that isn't paved. Our heartbeats quickened a little bit, but it was still all good. We get to the gate and a man opens it for us and we see my dad's house with a gorgeous view of Accra (capital of Ghana).

We get settled, get a tour of the house and take lots of pics. My dad has dinner ordered in and we we relax.

This was Day 1...Saturday, March 2.

Coming Soon: Day 2 - 4: Getting Acclimated









No comments:

Post a Comment